- The first crop grown in many states of the USA was hemp. 1850 was a peak year for the state of Kentucky which produced 40 000 tons. Hemp was the largest cash crop until the 20th century.
- The oldest known records of hemp farming go back 5000 years in China. Most people think however that hemp industrialization is related to ancient Egypt.
- A lot of painters like Rembrandt’s or Van Gogh as well as most early canvas paintings used to paint of hemp linen.
- In 1916, the US Government predicted that by the 40’s all paper would come from hemp and that cutting tree would be pointless.
- 58 000 tons of hemp seeds were used in America for paint products in 1935.
- Henry Ford’s Model-T car was built to run on hemp gasoline and it was built from hemp. The hemp plastic panels used are 10 times stronger than steel.
- In 1938, hemp was called “Billion Dollar Crop”. It was the first time in history that a cash crop had a business potential to exceed a bilion dollars.
This post will be the last. Hope you enjoyed reading.