- The first crop grown in many states of the USA was hemp. 1850 was a peak year for the state of Kentucky which produced 40 000 tons. Hemp was the largest cash crop until the 20th century.
- The oldest known records of hemp farming go back 5000 years in China. Most people think however that hemp industrialization is related to ancient Egypt.
- A lot of painters like Rembrandt’s or Van Gogh as well as most early canvas paintings used to paint of hemp linen.
- In 1916, the US Government predicted that by the 40’s all paper would come from hemp and that cutting tree would be pointless.
- 58 000 tons of hemp seeds were used in America for paint products in 1935.
- Henry Ford’s Model-T car was built to run on hemp gasoline and it was built from hemp. The hemp plastic panels used are 10 times stronger than steel.
- In 1938, hemp was called “Billion Dollar Crop”. It was the first time in history that a cash crop had a business potential to exceed a bilion dollars.
This post will be the last. Hope you enjoyed reading.
To end this blog, here is a couple of post about hemp fun facts.
- Until 1880s, most of the schoolbooks were made from hemp.
- It was legal to pay taxes with hemp in America from 1631 until the early 1800s
- In the USA during the 17th and 18th centuries it was against the law to refuse to grow hemp. In Virginia for instance…
- USA founding fathers (Thomas Jefferson, George Washington…) grew hemp back in the day. This information came straight from Jefferson and Washington diaries.
- Until the 19 century, 90% of the ships sails and rope were made from hemp. The word “canvas” or “canevas” comes from the latin word “cannabis”
- 80% of all textiles, clothes, drapes, bed sheets… wee made from hemp until the cotton came up in 1820s.
- The first Bibles, maps, charts, some flags, some drafts of the Declaration of Independance and even the United States Constitution were made from hemp.
Check the rest of the fun facts in the next post !
By browsing the internet I discovered that hemp was used in order to build many kinds of items/products. Here is the most unexpected I found.
The company erba makes bikes from a combination of bamboo and hemp. The bike frame is made with lightweight really strong bamboo with joints held together by resilient hemp fiber.
Some brand started to make some skateboards that swap out traditional Canadian maple with hemp decks. It works in the USA because some kids feel concerned about the state of American forest.
Finally the more impressive one is the hemp house. Of course it is not made entirely from hemp but most of it is made with hempcrete which is a bio composite composed of the innr woody cores of the plant mixed with water et chemical stuff. It is described as the perfect bio-based building material: it is resistant to fire, earthquake and it is non-toxic.
It has no relation with hemp but with two friends we cooked a chili con carne last month.
You can see the video by following this link chili con carne with bacon !
I already talked about hemp oil and how it could be use. However here is a few example of cosmetic product that can be made with hemp oil.
Acne is a common skin disease that mainly affect teenagers. The fatty acids contained with hemp seed oil based products have shown to decrease the inflammation caused by acne, preventing breakouts.
Sun blocking cream is usually made up from a formulation of some very heavy oils, it result in a thick and greasy cream. Hemp oil can be used to counter this. Furthermore hemp oil improves the moisturising effects and spread-ability of sun block.
Hemp is one of the richest sources of essential fatty acids. As a result hemp seed oil helps in the formation of strong and healthy keratin – the main protein in hair. The lipid content of hemp seed oil also increases elasticity, volume, shine and the easiness with which hair can be combed. For this reason, it is not uncommon for hemp seed oil to be used in shampoos and hair styling products.
See you next week with some new info about hemp.